Sunday, August 30, 2026

the great outdoors

I'm not what you would call an "outdoorsy" person. I don't like to hike. I don't like to garden. I pay a guy to mow my lawn (which is just slightly larger than a postage stamp.) The thought of camping  makes me cringe and is probably the main reason that I bought a house. But there is an exception. I like outdoor concerts.

For the past few years, Mrs. P and I have joined our pals — Consuelo and Cookie for a series of outdoor concerts put on under the auspices of nearby Camden County, New Jersey. Every summer, just as families are returning home from Memorial Day celebrations, Camden County begins hosting a program of weeknight concerts at three different venues across the reaches of the municipal boundaries. These shows feature performers from a variety of genres, levels of fame and appeal. One of the best parts of these shows is they are all outdoors and they are all free of charge. On Monday nights, a line-up of jazz and hip-hop artists are showcased at Wiggins Park — a natural amphitheater on the Delaware River with an illuminated Philadelphia as a dreamy backdrop. Wednesday evenings are reserved for the McLaughlin Norcross Dell — another grassy amphitheater with newly renovated benches and an omnipresent Mr. Softee truck. On Thursdays, the stage is set at Cooper River Park, which, coincidentally, is around the corner from where I work. Over the years, we have seen the likes of Max Weinberg, Tiffany, The Sugarhill Gang, Richard Thompson, former Barenaked Ladies frontman Steven Page and a host of other performers whose names escape me at the moment.

There's nothing better than sitting out in the cool summer air, in a folding chair or on a blanket, with an overstuffed hoagie in your bag, surrounded by similar-minded folks all gathered for a lovely evening of good — sometimes familiar — music and relaxation. After a particular trying day at work, dealing with unreasonable clients and annoying co-workers, a free show at an outdoor venue hits the spot.

Of course, when you have shows outdoors and you are geographically situated in a place that experiences all four seasons, you run the risk of rain or other unpleasant weather. Many of these shows, over the years, have been postponed because of rain, only to be postponed again when it rains on the rain date. This was the case for a recent rescheduling of a performance by 80s R & B band Color Me Badd, currently featuring just one original member. Color Me Badd was originally scheduled for a Thursday in July. When that day arrived, the Philadelphia/Camden area was in the throes of an oppressive heatwave, an occurrence that has become increasing familiar over consecutive summers. Via the Camden County Facebook page, the show was rescheduled for a date in late August. When the August date rolled around, the dark clouds that had gathered over the Delaware Valley that morning showed no signs of vacating the premises any time soon. Pressed to make a decision, the Camden County "powers-that-be" announced that the show would be moved to the stately Scottish Rite Auditorium — a venerable 1000-seat theater built in 1930 and voted "one of the “150 Best Buildings and Places” by the American Institute of Architects"... for what its worth. While the event would remain free of charge, seats still had to be reserved through the venue's website. 

Now, I certainly do not number myself among Color Me Badd's most die-hard fans. I am not even a casual listener. I can honestly say I cannot name a Color Me Badd song. However, I do know that an evening of songs I do not know is always made enjoyable if it takes place outdoors with friends and food. The thought of sitting in a cramped, seated theater, shoulder-to-shoulder with strangers and the looming uncertainty if outside food would be permitted didn't exactly set the stage for a fun evening. The draw for these shows is "free" and "outdoors." This one was only firing on every other cylinder. A daytime group text between me and Mrs. Pincus and Cookie and Consuelo resulted in the general consensus of skipping this particular show.

A few days later, we found ourselves on the lush green lawn of Wiggins Park, a cool breeze blowing in from the Delaware River, a sandwich and a bag of chips close at hand and the musical stylings of Living Color's Will Calhoun's tribute to jazz legend Miles Davis wafting through the giant sets of speakers. 

This was more like it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment